This is a recording of a conversation I had with with the story team at Here in August 2017.
We talked about the work I’ve been leading around self referral to physiotherapy services in central Sussex. This is already available in Horsham and Crawley and the ambition is to eventually offer it to people across the region. It’s part of the work going on in Sussex MSK Partnership to increase access to high quality care.
Self referral – rather than going through a GP – is a big change for patients and clinicians across the healthcare system. But I feel that the benefits are significant – and I feel positive about the potential for the future.
If you’d like to find out more about the ongoing assessment of the impact of self referral to physiotherapy services in Sussex, please get in touch with me by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you’d like to find out more about referring yourself to physiotherapy, there’s more information on the Sussex MSK Partnership website.
- 1min 25sec: Introduction to Sally and her role in Sussex MSK Partnership
- 2min 16sec: Importance of fairness to Sally
- 3min: Background to self referral to physio therapy
- 4min 5sec : Why self referral doesn’t lead to inappropriate referrals?
- 5min 50sec: The need to advertise the service more widely
- 6min 15sec: National data on rate of referral for self referral
- 6min 45 sec: Virtual clinics
- 7min 50sec: Patient feedback on the virtual clinic
- 8min 15sec: How a person can self refer to physiotherapy services
- 10min 40sec: What information does the referral form collect?
- 11min 50sec: The benefits of self referral
- 13min 32 sec: Plans to roll out self referral across the rest of central Sussex
- 15min 35sec: Reaction of GPs to self referral
- 16min 25sec: The professional skill of physiotherapists to safeguard patients
- 17min 40sec: The shift in attitude from ‘what’s the matter with you’ to ‘what matters to you’ in Sussex MSK Partnership
- 20min 15sec: The part physio self referral plays in our wider commitment to improve access
- 21min 35sec: Benefit of closer collaboration with primary care teams
- 22min 15sec: The practical process of making the change to self referral
- 24min: Patient feedback on self referral
- 25min: What we’re learning from GP and patient feedback
- 27min 05sec: How healthcare professionals can find out more about the impact of self referral for physio in central Sussex
- 28min 11sec: Personal reflection from Sally – how it has felt to work on this
- 30min 5sec: Possibilities for the future
- 31min 22sec: The modernisation of physiotherapy departments in Horsham and Crawley
You may also like
14.09.2017 | by David Gilbert
Patients and carers as partners for change – What are we doing?
30.08.2017 | by Mary McAllister
Learning together at SMSKP conference 2017
16.08.2017 | by Phoebe Munson
Clinical outcome letters: why does improving the system matter?